- The Gartersnake at our interpretative center is still small (they can grow up to 40 inches long), but is very tough and has a lot of attitude!
- They are mainly aquatic and eat primarily small fish.
- They are diurnal (active during the day), but can also be active during the night during warmer weather.
- They are known to expel a combination of unpleasant musk and urine when handled as their defense.
- Their coloration is a combination of drab olive, brown and dark gray with a yellowish lateral stripe on each side.
($25 BUYS: small mice, shelter, tank cleaning, heat lamps, a new tank)